Thursday, January 6, 2011

Think outside the box to find a way around high prices

I have been looking for beds for our two dogs for some time now. Every time I went to buy more dog food, I would check to see if any were on sale or what deals I could find (I am always looking for a deal) but the cheapest I could find were $29.99. Times that by two and add tax and that is over $60 for DOG beds. Call me crazy, but they wouldn't know that I spent that much on them. They would be happy with an old pair of jeans to lay on. But since their beds are in our family room, I wanted it to be something that I didn't mind looking at.

Then it hit me. I proceeded to leave the overpriced pet supply store and go over to the local Goodwill to see if I could find a comforter that I could make into both dog beds. Once I got there, I was able to find a twin sized comforter that suited my tastes for only $10. Not only was I happy about saving myself money, but the money I was spending was going to a good cause.

After I washed it, I began by folding it in half, then in thirds. I was planning on making each bed with 3 layers. With it being evenly folded and smoothed out on a table, I cut each fold line to make 6 rectangles. It doesn't have to be perfect; the cuts will be inside after it is sewn and turned right side out.  And remember- it's a dog bed ;-)
Lay two rectangle pieces on top of each other with two of the original outside finished edges of the comforter on the same side (trust me on this. it will make it easier to close up.) I laid mine both facing the same way so that I would have a plaid side and a solid side when I was finished. If you want both sides the same, lay them with the sides you want to be showing when you are done facing each other as you sew. (Example: If you want only the plaid to be showing when its finished, put both plaid sides facing each other) Make sure the sides are even and pin them if you would like.


Carefully straight stitch 3 sides, leaving the side with the finished edges open.



Lay the third layer on top of your inside out dog bed that you've just sewn 3 sides on. From the inside, pinch the third layer on the corners opposite the opening to hold it in place as you turn it right side out.


Stuff the third layer inside the bed and sew the fourth side up (right side out) to complete the dog bed.


Then, let Fido enjoy it!


There. TWO dog beds for only $10.00!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, you are a genius, I am SO doing this. We are in desperate need of new dog beds (one of ours has been completely chewed to bits) and I'm in the same boat as you - 2 large dogs beds = $$$ I don't have. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete