Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Warm hearts in the heart of the cold

Since we are in the heart of the cold winter months, how better to warm our hearts than with a steamy bowl of home made soup? I've been wanting to try my hand at a soup I first had at White Oak Bakery in Jacksonville, NC; Shrimp Corn Chowder. They only serve it on certain days, but I look forward to it when we are able to visit.


Here is the recipe I came up with and I am VERY happy with it. I hope you will try it and let me know what you think.

Cassie's Shrimp Corn Chowder

1 c minced onion
3/4 c minced celery
3/4 c minced red pepper
1 Tbsp minced garlic
3 Tbsp butter
-cook on medium heat in large stock pot until translucent. about 5 minutes-

Add:
1- 32oz box seafood stock
3 cans cream style corn
1- 16oz bag frozen corn
1 c cream
1 lb small shrimp or larger shrimp, chopped

Season with:
1 tsp Old Bay
1/2 tsp white pepper
1- 2 tsp salt (to taste)
dash cayenne pepper

To thicken: remove 1/2 c soup into small bowl, mix in 4 Tbsp corn starch until smooth. Stir mixture into soup, stir until incorporated.

Simmer on LOW for 30-45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Serve immediately or freeze to preserve freshness.

5 comments:

  1. you should bring some for me to try on friday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to try it!! I went to the store today and ACTUALLY found seafood stock so I got it, because through out the year I can't find it. Now I actually have a reason to use it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cassie. Not sure if I can get any of my non fish eaters to try it. Have you ever made it without the shrimp? Maybe I'll try that and let you know how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! :)
    kdog64- No, I've never tried it without shrimp. The seafood stock also gives it a slight seafood tast as well. I also have a smokehouse corn chowder I made that might be better suited to the non-fish-eaters. I will try to post it soon.

    ReplyDelete